Monday, August 16, 2010

Julie & Artisan Bread?

I have always wanted to learn how to make really good bread from scratch. Whenever I want fresh bread I have always to run to the store... but wouldn't it be great to just whip up a pizza crust or dinner rolls to complete a meal from the comfort of your own home?

In the early married years, and I was not working, this kind of dream might have actually been possible... had it not been for my extremely awful bread making abilities! Now that I'm working part time I definitely have a lot less time to devote to perfecting this skill, and it is becoming less and less of a possibility.

Until I found Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day which is the perfect method for making bread when you only have a little bit of time to devote to bread making. Rather then the traditional way; which requires a lot of time proofing, kneading, covering and rising, punching down and letting double; you start with a wetter dough that will rise on it's own, and store several loaves worth in the fridge at a time. You CAN have bread whenever you want it.

I can't wait to start making bread! I can start up our Wednesday night bread and cheese night again, except instead of store bought breads I'm going to make it from home! Inspired by the Julie & Julia movie & blog, I am going to work through this cook book and make a new recipe for every Wednesday night. I'll be posting about our findings about each recipe.

One of our favorite Lost Characters Jorge Garcia (Hurley) has also gotten into the art of bread making.

1 comment:

JennyD said...

Ooh! I'm excited to see what sort of yummy breads you come up with! Cooking through a recipe book sounds like so much fun...but it's hard to find a good one that's not totally fattening (as in, an Italian cookbook would be yummy...but all that pasta? Not so good. LOL), so bread seems like a great compromise. :-)